- Have chimneys professionally inspected and cleaned each year.
- Use a sturdy fireplace screen when burning fires.
- Burn only wood and NOT paper or pine boughs that can float out of a chimney and ignite your roof.
- If you are hanging stockings by a fireplace, do not burn a fire.
Wood Burning Stoves
- Stove connector pipes and chimneys should be inspected each year by a professional.
- Use short hot fires rather than long smoldering ones.
- Don't leave a stove unattended when children are present.
- Never use gasoline, kerosene, charcoal starter or other flammables to start a fire.
- Empty ashes into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep containers off of combustible floors.